Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some frequently asked questions. If you don’t find what you are looking for please check the Resources pages of our website for more comprehensive information.

Homes for Ukraine Visa scheme guidance

For up-to-date information regarding the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme, please click here


How can I register with a doctor and access medication in the UK?

Register with a GP (General Practice) as soon as possible after you arrive in the UK. For information on how to register with a GP click here

To locate a GP in your area view this link: GP near me

Please call 999 or 112 in times of life-threatening situations. 111 should be called for non-emergencies.

How can I get a blood test done in the UK?

Most blood tests only take a few minutes to complete and are carried out at your GP surgery or local hospital by a doctor, nurse or phlebotomist (a specialist in taking blood samples). Please follow the link here for more useful information

How can I get a dentist appointment in the UK?

To receive dental care in the UK you must register with a dental practise. To locate a dentist near you search here

Dentists are open for urgent and routine treatments. If you are registered with a dentist, you can contact the surgery by phone or in person.

You might be asked to wait for an appointment if it’s not urgent.

If you need dental treatment in an emergency please call a dentist. Some dentists offer urgent appointments at short notice.

If you do not have a dentist, you may find one by calling NHS 111

If you need to see a dentist out of hours:
call a dentist: their voicemail may advise where to get out-of-hours treatment
call NHS 111 to find an out-of-hours dental service near you

General Practitioners (GPs) do not offer emergency or out of hours dental care in the UK.

If you are in pain while waiting to see a dentist, call the NHS on 111. This service can also offer self-care advice.

More information can be found at the following link.

Am I entitled to free NHS dental treatment in England?

NHS dental care is free only in the following circumstances:

For children under the age of 18 years, or for persons under the age of 19 years who are in full-time education.
For pregnant women or women who have given birth in the past 12 months
For people who are being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (this may exclude the cost of dentures or bridges)
For those receiving universal credit, or those under the age of 20 years who are a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits

Free NHS dental treatment is available to individuals and their spouse (including civil partner) if receiving:

Income Support
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Universal Credit (in certain circumstances)

For more comprehensive information see the NHS guide here.

Financial Help

Can I get financial help in the UK?

Ukrainian refugees who arrive to the UK via the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme are entitled to a one-off payment of £200 per person. Contact your local council for this. For those living in Camden click here

Ukrainian refugees may also apply for Universal Credit. Universal Credit is a government benefit paid each month ito individuals who do not have a job, cannot work or are on a low income. The amount of aid each individual receives depends on criteria such as if there are children in the household or need help with housing costs. More details can be found here.

Universal Credit payments can only be pad into a UK based bank account. If for any reason you are unable to open a UK bank account you can still get benefits, but you will need to collect the benefit cheque in person and provide proof of identity.

Read more on setting up a bank account here.

If you have children
You can apply for Child Benefit if you have one or more children in the UK with you. More details can be found here.

You might also be able to get help to pay for childcare if your child is not in school yet. You can apply for a school place once your child is 4 years-old.

For those aged 66 years or over
Individuals who are aged 66 or older may be eligible for a Pension Credit payment. Details are here.

For pension aged individuals in Northern Ireland click here.

What happens to benefits payments when my child turns 16 years old?

Child Benefit payments stop on 31 August on or after your child’s 16th birthday if the child leaves education or training. The benefit will continue if your child remains in approved education or training. You must inform HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

More information can be found here.

Can I get help looking for a job in the UK?

You can use the government’s ‘Find a job’ service to search and apply for jobs.

Individuals on benefits can receive support for their job search such as training schemes and work experience. Local councils also often offer support.

More information about job searches can be found on our WORK pages under resources.

I have to go abroad for more than one month. How do I avoid losing my Universal Credit?

Individuals who depart the UK for an extended period of time and are unable to return to the UK should check the guidance from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office.

More information on the topic can be found here.


How can I find a sponsor in the UK?

Please check the UK government’s official list of charities and organisations that have been nominated for this work.

Ukrainian nationals are strongly urged to use the UK government’s recognised providers for those seeking to arrive in the UK via the Homes for Ukraine visa scheme. Finding a host via social media such as Facebook, Instagram or Telegram carries many risks.

Here are some tips on how to stay safe when you meet a sponsor online:

How can I find a new sponsor (rematch) under the Homes for Ukraine scheme?

If you are in the UK on a Homes for Ukraine visa and your current hosts are no longer able to accommodate you but you are not ready to move into your own independent accommodation, you may want to consider finding a new host.

You could find a new host through:

a recognised provider or The local council

Once you have found a new host, it is very important that you contact your local council as soon as possible so that they can approve the new arrangement. This should happen before you move in with a new host.

More information can be found at this link.

Driving in the UK

Can I drive in the UK with my Ukrainian driving license?

Ukrainian driving licenses are valid for the first 3 years after you arrive in the UK. After three years, you will need to exchange it for a British licence.

Check what requirements your vehicle needs to meet in the UK here

Are there discounted driving lessons for Ukrainian refugees in the UK?

The AA Charitable Trust supports Ukrainian refugees in the UK by offering a free Drive Confident UK driving familiarisation course from AA Driving School and BSM.

The driving course comprises of one two-hour practical driving refresher lesson with a driving instructor in their tuition car. It is for qualified drivers with a full driving licence and is subject to availability of instructors.

More information can be found here.

If we haven’t answered your question, please contact us via our contact form.